Student Success Peer Mentor
Position Summary: The goal of the Peer Mentor program is to promote a better sense of connection of first quarter students to managing college/campus transition. During this time, the Peer Mentors will discuss the following subjects from a student’s point of view:
- Campus resources, activities and involvement
- Academic rules and regulations, such as: class registration, financial aid, and attendance
- Establishing and maintaining interpersonal relationships (building community) with faculty, staff, and peers
- The value of a college education, along with the strategies and commitment necessary for academic success her at AiAVB
- Must be a full time student, within the third quarter or beyond, and maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Desire to help students succeed
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Awareness and sensitivity to individual learning styles and needs
- Ability to apply study strategies, goal setting, organizational skills & time management in
Basic Job Requirements:
- Serve as a positive source of support to help first-year students adjust to campus.
- Develop and maintain a peer relationship focused on helping new students make a smooth transition, acclimate to campus, and establish a sense of belonging.
- Serve as a resource for students helping them identify and use appropriate campus services
- Be the second point of contact for the Student Success Advisors for the students within their network
- Assist students’ Academic expectations and achievement (attendance, grades and conduct)
- Assist with programming and/or workshops as requested by the Dean of Student Success.
- Make contact with mentees and other assigned students at least once a week (electronic or personal)
- Actively attend, assist, and participate in assigned campus events
- Help incoming students navigate their first quarter on campus by introducing transitional topics
- Make contact with future start Students During Week 5 and Week 10
- Maintain and complete administrative responsibilities within a timely manner
Peer Mentors will help Program Students:
- Become familiar with campus resources and academic expectations of Ai Virginia Beach
- Establish and maintain positive daily routines and habits
- Avoid and/or overcome procrastination, stress and/or anxiety
- Set and maintain academic priorities
- Organize class materials and prepare for assignments and exams
- Build self-confidence to make mindful decisions, solve problems and succeed academically
- Develop active learning strategies to assist with positive study habits
- Become actively engaged in the learning process by creating goals
- Increase their involvement on campus by attending events, joining student organizations and/or volunteering
- Customer service experience and a pleasant demeanor.
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to understand the importance of timeliness and quality of work.
- Ability and willingness to take direction.
- Ability to think independently and resolve problems when appropriate.